It is currently 2017-11-18 21:42

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 2011-04-20 10:26 
Admiral
Admiral

No matter how you want to look at it it's not Socom.

They built the game on the backbone of their MAG franchise, meaning that most of the their work had been done, yet they still needed another 6 months to get things right. Maps have huge vulnerabilities on them which for some strange reason Zipper employees were not able to spot after playing them for over a year. The Beta was not working right and after much community outcry they changed things in the game to appease the audience. Why not do this from the start, like the community has been telling them for over a year.

Upon release many have noticed the maps of Socom are not as large as they once were, something that was like a staple of the franchise. They have become less tactical and more reflex very much like a CoD or Halo game. Staples like Socom original game modes, large maps, proper spawn points or multiple due to large maps, proper 3rd person cameras, no "L1" sights just "Up D-pad" and many others.

The game will survive as it is and with continued timely support will be a success on it's own, but at the moment will never be a true successor to the Socom franchise. Don't bother denying it, as any true Socom fan will never acknowledge this as it stands at the moment. None of this means you can't like or love the game, I actually do, but it's not the same "Tactical Shooter" we have played for years. Sure every shooter employs strategy but seriously look at the differences between the Socom franchise and the other big shooter franchises. Socom pioneered the genre, had many firsts and stood apart from the rest. This was largely due to the competition in the field being slim but with so many great franchises out now and so many choices can we afford to let the lines become blurred just for the fiscal bottom line? If that's the way Zipper/Sony have gone we will be relying on another franchise to fill the void of complacency and similarities.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: 2011-04-20 12:14 
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

I may be wrong but I think I like the re-spawn better than the classic mode in this game. I seem to have more fun in the respawn rooms. I miss the classic tactical in Socom 1 & 2 but the way this game plays right now I think the respawn is better.

(Not saying better than old Socom. Just better than classic mode in this non-Socom. Nothing replaces old school Socom.)

PostPosted: 2011-04-20 13:41 
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

i agree ghost, its not what we have come to expect from a socom franchise but it has its good points im sure with it will survive definitely not the same though

PostPosted: 2011-04-20 19:35 
Commander
Commander

It does have the MAG feel to it, but I think once we can get party rooms or lobbies where clans can practice together and learn the maps it can be a good game. The camera collision gets me killed a lot...

PostPosted: 2011-04-20 21:32 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I like the classic mode better but the respawn does allow for much more action. I am not a respawn player by trade so I will mostly be found on the classic mode unless the clan just doesnt follow that direction. I think the tactics will me much more important in this game because in classic a lot more camping and hiding spots are in this game.

PostPosted: 2011-04-21 09:25 
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

yea true, i think we definetly need to start playing classic a lot more we play respawn so much that if we play classic we start playing classic like we are in respawn and that's NO GOOD!

PostPosted: 2011-04-21 13:32 
Commander
Commander

I'd just be happy if we could play TOGETHER!

PostPosted: 2011-04-21 14:16 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

We can, once Ed and Keely promote captains and the leaders and captains are on more regularly then everyone can play together through that functionality. Until then just join a room and wait it out. We found a way through the BETA to play togehter almost every day. The party system wasnt set up right in confrontation for over a year and its not set up in this game yet.